Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Muk Yan Jong, or Mu Ren Zhuang (木人樁)

This is the wooden dummy that is present in so many Kung Fu movies.  I have always wanted to try this ever since I saw Bruce Lee use one in Enter the Dragon.  OK, I admit to being a big Bruce Lee fan.  When I was about 10, I had a poster of him from the same movie, holding nunchaku in a ready stance, hanging on the wall of my bedroom.  It was included in the story about him in Dynamite magazine.








I know nothing about the person making the presentation here, but his instruction makes sense - especially the part about keeping your shoulders down!  This post is really just for fun, but there is some good information here:






We use makiwara in our dojo as a means of developing strength and stability in the hands, wrists, arms - really, in the whole body.  If you want to know more about the makiwara, including plans to build your own, you can use this link.  Some of the pictures of the old masters using the makiwara are not that great - one even shows a hyperextended elbow!  The information is solid, however.  If you are really adventurous, here are plans for building your own Muk Jong


Finally, while we are having fun and reminiscing about Bruce Lee, here is a collection of scenes from the Ip Man movies.  In case you did not know, Ip Man was Bruce Lee's teacher.  Enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment